Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I recently came off the pill as my husband and I are

Customer Question

I recently came off the pill as my husband and I are starting to try for a baby. We had regular sex over my ovulation window and I am now 5 days past the date in which I should have got my period. I have had typical cramping in my tummy and abdomen, like period pains and very very bloated. I have also had headaches.
I have taken a clearblu test which came back 'not-pregnant' on the 29th day of my cycle. I would live to be pregnant but am unsure as to whether I could actually be pregnant but it could also just be my body readjusting after coming off the pill.
What's confused me is the bodily symptoms which could be pregnancy? I can't get it out of my mind... any advice or thoughts?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

What date did you stop the pill?

How old are you? Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Stopped pill on 3 Oct. I'm 31. Good health and weight.

When women stop the pill, they usually have a withdrawal bleed, and then tend to not have a period for 5-6 weeks. I think that's what has happened to you. You can't really expect to have a period 4 weeks after stopping the pill. It's why we usually recommend not trying until you get your first period completely off the pill. By that time your usual cycle will have resumed.

If you don't get a period in another week, I'd do another pregnancy test. But it wouldn't be too unusual if you don't get your period for another week or more. Best wishes.