Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My son is 10 months and exclusively breast fed, my period

Customer Question

Hello my son is 10 months and exclusively breast fed , my period came last month and am a it worried as this month it looks like it's trying to come but very very light for the last 3 days and it doesn't actually look like a period it's more like the start of a period but it's not getting any heavier by the day? I'm not using contraception either so I am worried now that I am pregnant .... What could this be early sign of pregnancy?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Did your period come before last month, or was that the first one?

Do you wish to become pregnant? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the first one since I've had my boy , we are not purposely planning to become pregnant but if it is that than I guess it is what it is i wouldn't be unhappy at all

Bleeding around the time of a period is not usually a sign of pregnancy. It's more often due to some hormonal changes, which are not unusual 10 months after having a baby.

I would do a pregnancy test. If it's negative, and your period was due, then it's highly unlikely that you're pregnant.

Then I would just give it some time to see what happens with your periods.

I don't think that you're pregnant. If you don't wish to be, I'd suggest using something for birth control. Best wishes.