wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Partner has had a positive HPV diagnosis after abnormal

Customer Question

Partner has had a positive HPV diagnosis after abnormal smear. Need to know where we can get genetic strain testing for high/low risk. And then what to do after
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Are you male or female?

Do you have any signs or symptoms?

How long ago were you exposed?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am male, my partner is female.
I have no obvious symptoms apart from occasional itching around the anus. Unfortunately I have no idea how long ago I was exposed or who contracted it first, we have been together for 10 years.
I have no other medical issues.
My partner has recently had kidney stones and now has a small amount of blood in her urine. She also has mouth ulcers (not sure if related).
She has intermediate uveitis, and is under special treatment of Moorfields eye hospital.
No idea if any/all inter related
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We also have a 7 month old baby. The eye issues started in the second trimester and the kidney issues when baby was around 4 months old.
No other signs or symptoms prior to the pregnancy.

HPV is so common that almost every sexually active human on the planet will get infected at some point in their life.

As such, there is no need to do genetic strain testing (there are over 40 strains) to try and figure out if you infected each other or got it somewhere else.

In the majority of infected people the HPV does not cause any problems.

Here is some very good information from a highly respected source that you might find interesting:

http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/parents/questions-answers.html

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My concern was not how it was contracted, more the potential for cancer causing abnormalities from high risk strains and possible links to the kidney problems....

I do not know of any links to kidney problems....

But it you want genetic strain testing the only place to do that would be at the CDC in the USA and whatever the UKs equivalent is. Also, some large university teaching hospitals might offer this sort of testing.
But, if I were you? I'd not spend the time and money as you will only get statistical probabilities that will not really help you or your partner to know your specific, individual risk.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS