Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 27 years old and recently started a new relationship

Customer Question

Hello I am 27 years old and recently started a new relationship however I am very close to my partner and am thinking about conceiving naturally. I am 15 st 11 and 5ft 5. I was diagnosed with polcystic ovary syndrome earlier this year after absent periods for 18 months. Prior to that I was on the contraceptive patch which caused blood clots and excessive bleeding and have not have a period since - in about 2 years now
I would like to get pregnant naturally with my boyfriend we have regular sex but no conception yet! I am on lithium 1000mg for bipolar and sertraline 50mg too aswell as the depixol injection 40mg every 4 weeks
Are there any tests I can do to check my hormone levels and whether I'd beable to get my periods back as I was told it was weight or fertility treatment I could start? Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 months ago.

Since you haven't had a period for 2 years, that means that you haven't ovulated for 2 years. So it's not likely that you'll get pregnant naturally, unless you could lose significant weight.

Polycystic ovary syndrome is noted by a failure of ovulation, which it seems that you have. There are pills that your doctor can prescribe that will help you to ovulate. Once you ovulate, you will most likely get pregnant. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it the polycystic ovaries that's preventing ovulation? And is this fixable by taking medications to help me become pregnant soon? Are there any tests I can have to find out other than pcos why my periods have stopped?

Polycystic ovaries (PCOS) is a common reason for no ovulation. I don't think there is any reason (or much likelihood) for finding another reason.

It's usually fixable by medication, as I said.