Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

My sister had a miscarriage at 2-3 weeks she missed 2

Customer Question

My sister had a miscarriage at 2-3 weeks she missed 2 periods with symptoms of pregnancy and cramping but no bleeding she has had blood test and results normal and a scan has come back with nothing wrong she has now come on her period with no signs from the miscarriage is this possible as want to support her but unsure she telling the truth
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

As long as she had a positive pregnancy test, and now has a negative pregnancy test, the scenario you have described is very possible.

Many women with a miscarriage will have quite heavy bleeding with craps, but some women will have only mild bleeding or a normal period.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She didn't get no bleeding at the time of miscarriage and when she had her other daughter her unrine sample didn't pick up pregnancy they all said negative even at the doctors she had to have a blood tests and got the conformation from them results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long do the hormones remain saying your pregnant

How long hormones remain depends on how high the hormone level is at the time of miscarriage.

If the hcg levels are low but consistent with pregnancy, and then a miscarriage occurs, we call it a chemical pregnancy. Bleeding after that are very unpredictable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would they be low as she would of only been 2-3 weeks gone and what is a chemical pregnancy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as she has negative test and the blood test came back clear 2 weeks ago and ultra sound came back as no signs is it possible she has had a miscarriage as this was 7 weeks ago the miscarriage happened

Hcg levels can be very low in a failed pregnancy (one destined for miscarriage). The placenta (which produces hcg) never develops very well.

A pregnancy won't show up on ultrasound until the hcg level is fairly high (over 1000).

As long as a blood test showed that she was pregnant, and now shows that she's not, she had a chemical pregnancy, the pregnancy died, and now she's no longer pregnant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She didn't have a blood test or ultra sound till 7 weeks after the miscarriage both result being clear and had no bleeding just cramps with the miscarriage so would you h say this is u true please

When did she have a positive pregnancy test (blood or urine)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At 2-3 weeks but then she missed her next period done another and it was negative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry her unrine sample was negative and and she had the blood test done 2 weeks ago and had negative with this too and she still missed next period and done another test which was negative X
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry if this is confusing just need to no if she is telling the truth

That's not clear. Did she ever have a positive pregnancy test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she said she had all signs and symptoms no positive result but didn't think she would coz she didn't with her other daughter still didn't come on her period for 2 months but with miscarriage didn't have bleeding only cramps and discharge the now 7 weeks later she has had blood tests and an ultra sound and nothing has come back abnormal and no positive results

If she never had a positive pregnancy test, there is no way to be sure that she was ever pregnant. Many women have pregnancy symptoms and miss periods, but are not pregnant.

I suspect that your sister was not pregnant, and therefore had no miscarriage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has a few days ago came on her period since September

No pregnancy means no miscarriage. Regardless of what has happened with her periods.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a women have a miscarriage without bleeding then and just the cramps and also if she is telling the truth would there b a trace on ultra sound 7 weeks later and a trace in blood tests 7 weeks later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is really hard because I have had a miscarriage myself and I would hate to think she was making this up about such a heartbreak subject
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like she was never pregnant and so never had a miscarriage. Just a late period

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But can there be no bleeding with a miscarriage and would there be a trace after 7 weeks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there an answer to this
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

There is no miscarriage if the pregnancy test is negative and with a miscarriage there is always bleeding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have spoke to her to day and she did have a positive these and and she did bleed would her body still have no trace after 7weeks x
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

I dont know what your question is Did she have a positive pregnancy test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spoken to her today and yes she did have X
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

So if she had a positive pregnancy test and then bleeding she had a miscarriage She needs to see a Dr.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had a scan and blood test and everything is clear
Is this possible and she came on her period the other day too X
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does it take for hormone level to go back to before pregnancy
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

6 weeks