Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I always have regular heavy periods that require use of both

Customer Question

I always have regular heavy periods that require use of both tampons and pads and I often experience leaking despite double protection, however at the moment I am into my fourth week of bleeding and no sign of letting up. In the last week I have started loosing multiple clots and experiencing increased abdominal pain that is dibilitating. I am 45 years of age and wondering if this could be due to onset of menapause or should I be concerned?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 7 months ago.
Four weeks of heavy bleeding is concerning. While this is common around the perimenopause, due to decreasing levels of progesterone, this degree of bleeding requires medical attention. I would suggest calling your gyn for an appointment this week. Going to the emergency room is not generally helpful. Your gyn can do a biopsy called an endometrial biopsy to be sure nothing more serious is going on. Progesterone given orally can usually stop the bleeding.