Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I gave birth 7 months ago and started the contraception

Customer Question

I gave birth 7 months ago and started the contraception injection 2 months ago with no period as a result, then this past week I was having needle like pains across my abdomen and today started to bleed heavily bright red. Is this normal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

Have you had no period since your delivery? If you have had periods, when was the last one in relationship to the injection?

Which contraception injection did you start 2 months ago? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've only had 3 periods since giving birth, last one was 3months ago. I have had the depo injection

It sounds like you got the depo injection about 1 month after your last period. That would explain the heavy bleeding. The depo shot is best given just during a period, when the uterine lining is thin.

When your last period was a month ago, your uterine lining is likely thick, and that is what is causing the heavy bleeding. If so, there is not much to do except hope the bleeding resolve soon.

In the future, if you start the depo shot, do it during a period.

If the bleeding continues and is a problem, a D&C might be needed. Best wishes.