Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I found a small "lump" that is painful to touch on my labia.

I found a small "lump" that is painful to touch on my labia. I think it might be a cyst. I also have several small dark flat spots on my outer labia but no itching or pain.
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Just today. Touching it or rubbing with toilet paper. But otherwise it isn't bothering me.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Not that i'm aware of.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 months ago.

How old are you?

Can you describe more precisely where the lump is located?

Is the lump the size of a pea or larger?

Is the skin intact over the lump, or is there an ulcer? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm 49
The lump is located at the front left edge of my labia minor
It's about the size of pea.
Skin is intact.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
See photo

I'm sorry for the delay. I was gone for a while.

The lump looks most like a sebaceous cyst (blocked oil gland) that is mildly infected. I'm pretty sure it's nothing serious.

I would treat it with hot packs for a few days to a week. You can do that using a warm moist washcloth, possibly covered with a heating pad. That should help resolve the infection. Antibiotics would not usually be needed.

You might be left with a lump there, which could remain. If it were bothersome, it could be removed using local anesthesia once the infection has resolved.

If it doesn't get better (less tenderness and redness), I would see a doctor.

The dark spots are probably moles, but I'm not able to see them well enough to say much. Best wishes.

Thank you for your payment and rating.