Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I took Utovlan on day 25 of my cycle and stopped on day 27.

I took Utovlan on day 25 of my cycle and stopped on day 27. Today day 31 I’ve had intermittent brown red and bright red spotting, but my period has not started properly. I took a pregnancy test on day 27 and today and it was negative. My cycle is normally 28-30. I’m worried?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

Why did you take Utovlan? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To delay my period for a religious event on Friday evening (day 27), 29 Sept

Good question. Utovlan usually works pretty well to delay a period, but it needs to be taken past when a period would have started to do this. Taking it for just 2 days usually wouldn't affect your period much.

I suspect that this wasn't going to be a regular, normal period anyway. Perhaps you didn't ovulate this month. That's not unusual at age 40.

Since your pregnancy tests were negative, I think pregnancy is quite unlikely. I would just give it some time and see whether this turns into a real period, stops completely, or the spotting continues. If the spotting continues more than a few day, you might want to see your doctor. Otherwise, time will tell.

As long as you've been having regular periods until now, and you're up to date on Pap smears, I don't think this is likely to be anything serious. If your cycles return to being regular, you can probably forget it. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** my period properly today.

That's good. Sounds like you're back to normal.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.