Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had the copper IUD inserted a year ago now. Recently

Customer Question

Hi There, I had the copper IUD inserted a year ago now. Recently (maybe the last 4 months) I have been getting what I thought was urinary tract infections at the same time each month - I have a constant dull ache in my right lower abdomen which is more painful when I pee but won't subside. There is no burning when i pee at all. I am also bleeding between periods quite a lot, and the bleeding always accompanies these symptoms. The last two times I've take antibiotics which seemed to ease things until I got my period. Cab you help? I've also had a pap smear which showed CN1 but nothing serious.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should add I've also had discharge, and a feeling of pressure on both sides.(Sorry for the immense detail)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also one last thing, also on my right side between my groin and leg, roughly where the lymph nodes are I have tenderness and it is painful and bumpy underneath if i touch it as if ive pulled a muscle.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

Have you seen your doctor about this pain? If so, was an exam normal? Was an ultrasound done? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Norm. I went twice to check the coil was in place and both said that looked fine but no ultrasound was done. I mentioned the pain, but at the time it was intermittent and it wasn't affecting going to the bathroom. There was also no groin pain or pressure.

Pain with bleeding, unusual discharge, some relief with antibiotics all suggest that the copper IUD is likely the source of your symptoms. The IUD may or may not be a little out of place. However, I suspect that if the IUD were removed, your symptoms would resolve. Then if you desired, another IUD could be inserted at a later date.

Infection occasionally occurs related to an IUD. As long as antibiotics cause the disappearance of symptoms, there is no further problem. However, when symptoms continue for 4 months, it's best to remove the IUD.

I don't think that the CIN 1 Pap smear is related to your symptoms, and is a separate issue. Best wishes.