MD doc
MD doc, Doctor
Experience:  MD, vastly experienced (since 1994)
239748

My question is that I'm 5 weeks pregnant and a few days ago

Customer Question

Hi there - My question is that I'm 5 weeks pregnant and a few days ago I started to have very bad Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) which basically doesn't let me sleep and I'm tossing an turning a lot during the night. I can only sleep a few hours (last night not even that). Now I can survive because I used to have it in the past, but I'm extremely worried that it may be bad for the baby and it won't develop properly because I'm not getting enough sleep (obviously the worry doesn't help it either..). Do you think it is an issue for the baby? Would it help the baby if I just do lying meditation so I still get some rest during the night?
Many thanks, Cecilia
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  MD doc replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to just answer

RLS is seen in around 16% of pregnant women, more so in ladies that have had it before. Unfortunately, most of the medicines for RLS are not recommended during pregnancy. Good news is that, the symptoms go away after 6 months of pregnancy and there is no harm to the baby.

Things that you can do are -

- Try stretching legs, get a massage, use hot or cold packs, take warm baths, or practice relaxation techniques before going to bed

- ask your health care provider for any increase in dose of folates, vitamin B12 or iron than the present prenatal vitamins

- avoid caffeine, antihistaminic (allergy medicines) - these worsen the RLS

- avoid lying for long time or watching TV in bed before going to sleep

- Quinine in tonic water helps in reducing the symptoms. But take it only after talking to your doctor.

Hope this information is helpful

Expert:  MD doc replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers