Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I got a birth control implant in May this year. I took it

Customer Question

Hi, I got a birth control implant in May this year. I took it out three weeks ago because of some weight gain. I've always been a slim build never having to have concern over my weight. However, ever since then it has been hard to cut down my weight even though I have been eating really little and avoiding all carbs. It this because of hormone imbalance?
Will I go back to the way I was before? Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 20 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. I am assuming you mean the implanon. Hormones do not cause weight gain except for a few pounds of possible water weight gain. Hormonal imbalance does not occur with hormonal birth control as they are meant to block your natural cycle. Progesterone that is in many birth control options causes weight gain by increasing appetite and causing more calorie intake. Its hard to lose it once it is gained but it is possible. You will not go back to your previous weight just by stopping the birth control. You will also need diet and exercise
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Does that mean there might still be some progesterone in me? I feel like my body absorbs whatever I eat so quickly unlike how I was before with a really fast metabolism. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 20 days ago.
No. There's no progesterone 48 hours after the implant is removed. Progesterone does not change your metabolism or make you absorb food quickly. It just increases your appetite and makes you eat more.