Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Can menstrual blood collect and not drain from uterus even

Customer Question

Can menstrual blood collect and not drain from uterus even after c section 16 months ago? Just had pelvic ultrasound and they've said it could be due to a stitch inside from my scar that may have caused a blockage. Also have a cyst on both ovaries, one of which is around 5.5 cm. Have had abdominal pain and tenderness for a few weeks, some slight bloating. Periods irregular but always have been . Recently stopped contraceptive injection, previously had implant.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. No menstrual blood does not suddenly stop draining from the uterus after a c section. I am assuming that you bled after delivery. No a stitch absolutely does not block the flow of blood. Sutures used on the uterus dissolve after two weeks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What would cause the fluid in the uterus . The sonographer thought it might be blood. What would the general treatment be for the cysts?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could the contraceptive implant and the injection I switched to once implant was removed contribute to causing cysts on the ovaries?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
No. Not at all. Stopping the birth control causes cysts to begin to form
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also my stretch marks now look like red lines - would the bloating cause this? I believe the cysts may resolve themselves in some cases? I have no problems with my appetite.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
cysts do resolve on their own most of the time
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What would cause the fluid to accumulate in the uterus but not come away?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
A tiny amount of fluid can be in the uterus and seen on ultrasound. It doesnt mean its not draining
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The sonographer thought the fluid might be blood. I do have irregular periods and had some bleeding last week for a day or two. Could it be remnants from previous period? Does an accumulation build up due to irregularity? Sorry to be asking so many questions!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
The fluid im sure is blood but the space in the uterus is very tiny and does not expand so its a very tiny amount. Its really nothing at all to be so concerned about. Its normal when you are having periods
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your help and patience. My GP has been in touch re my ultrasound and will arrange for a repeat scan in 4 - 6 weeks, so here's hoping things will have resolved themselves.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
If periods are irregular would blood still accumulate in the uterus at the time when the period is due?what would other causes be for blood to accumulate? Could it be leakage from the cysts?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 23 days ago.
Blood does not accumulate in the uterus. While the ultrasound may see fluid,its not due to a blockage. No its not leakage from the cysts, the 2 aren't even connected
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What do you think could cause the fluid - the sonographer seemed to be more concerned than the doctor. Sorry to keep asking but it's a bit worrying.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 23 days ago.
I dont think its concerning at all. Its a tiny space and there's always fluid there
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you. However I haven't had a proper period since June, just a small amount a couple of times and it was pretty dark in colour. Also due to have a smear this week, I have yearly check ups at the moment after colposcopy in March 2014.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 23 days ago.
Lack of a period is not due to what was found on ultrasound. And its not because of an abnormal pap. Have you been using any birth control?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Came off birth control about 5 months ago.Have been on both the injection and the one under the skin in the past.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have not used birth control for a few months - would this cause problems with menstrual cycle? Having repeat scan in 3 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.
No it would not. What was the last birth control used
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Implant under the skin
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.
It takes a few months after removal to resume normal cycle