MD doc
MD doc, Doctor
Experience:  MD, vastly experienced (since 1994)
239748

I’m almost 12 week pregnant and I have to be on bedrest for

Hi, I’m almost 12 week pregnant and I have to be on bedrest for a few weeks due to a hameatoma. My problem is that I developed a very bad insomnia and I can’t do anything with it as I can’t excercise etc. I was wondering if it is OK in the second trimester to take 5mg Zolpidem every now and then just to get some sleep? I cannot take antihistamins at all. Thanks Cecilia

Welcome to just answer

Though Zolpidem has been occasionally prescribed to women during pregnancy, but it should be taken only under advise of your doctor.

There are some potential side effects that can occur while taking Zolpidem during pregnancy - pre-term labor, reduced fetal (baby growth). It is to be specially avoided in the first trimester, you have already crossed that stage.

I would recommend you to ask your doctor before taking it.

Hope this information is helpful