Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I have been on the contraceptive pill for 10 years (cilest)

I have been on the contraceptive pill for 10 years (cilest) and have regular periods, which always last 4 days and are relatively normal flow. Last month and this month, they have been much lighter than usual and lasted 3 days rather than 4 but still started on the usual day. Is this anything to be worried about?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to say that I took all of the pills on time and was not ill during the last month. I realise I can take a pregnancy test, and will do so if necessary but I wanted to know whether my withdrawal bleed (sorry I called it a period above!) being lighter or different each month is something to be expected after so long on the same pill
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. The longer you are on the pill, the shorter your periods will be and the flow would be lighter. This is NOT a reason to change pills at all. It is a normal and expected thing. Up to 30% of cycles are ammenorrhic. This means no period or a very light or scant period. It is expected when on the pill for a long time and is nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your reply. So even if it was really so light that it was almost just spotting that would still count as a regular withdrawal bleed? It has been happening for 3 days.
that certainly counts
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great - that is a relief. If my withdrawal bleeds continue this way over the next few months, is that just a normal progression of the pill and nothing to worry about?
Its not a progression. Its a normal and expected pattern of bleeding