Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Afternoon! I have a Xerox ColorQube8570. Not happy with it

Customer Question

Afternoon! I have a Xerox ColorQube8570. Not happy with it all. Just over a year old. Very low print count. All Xerox inks. Recently had to replace the fuser roller and since then the colours are awful. Blues are so out and then try and print just black and white and the prints come out in fuzzy black with pink instead of grey. Any ideas?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Speaking openly, at this point your printer sounds as if it were in quite bad shape. So I will have to ask a lot of questions about various factors that might predispose it to its current condition:

- What computer are you printing to it from? (in terms of whether it is a Windows or an Apple computer, and also the version of Windows or MAC OS X.)

- What problem led to the fuser being replaced?

- Was the current bad printing *immediately* following the fuser replacement? or just more or less after.

- Is the printer being given adequate ventilation / air space on all sides ?

- Is the environment the printer is working in, of the right temperature ranges (that is, not above about 80 degrees F in hot weather, not below about 50 degrees in cold weater.)

- What program(s) are you printing to the printer from, on the computer, that produce the bad color and the bad black-and-white rendering?

- How do you induce black-and-white printing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

***Not in bad shape at all. Sat on a desk in my spare room for a year. Constantly on as otherwise I go through a set of colours just by the inks warming up each time.

*** Mainly PC. It did the same thing on my old laptop (Windows Vista) now using new laptop (Windows 8) and same problems.

*** with such low usage, the fuser roller had what looked like black stains on it. This was replaced under warranty just as the year was up

*** Print quality has never been great compared to other lasers I have had. Have noticed the lack of quality and the issue not being able to print black since the fuser.

*** Yes all good.

*** Nice usual temperature in the spare room of my house

- Mixture of PDFs, Powerpoint, Word, Photoshop, InDesign (from Mac)

From the Printer Set-up properties when going to print.

Hope that helps.

All together, yes, the information gives me a pretty clear picture of the problem.

I don't think you have a defective color profile, since you have been using two different PCs (at least) and noted no color differences between the two.

Being constantly On might be a factor in the problems... but if this printer has a Power Saving mode, that's a lesser factor for sure. Also might be a factor if the temperature were as high as 80 degrees or more in summer. I presume no sun shone on it in that time (which would heat the printer above the temperature of the surroundings.)

A last question: when the fuser had black stains on it, was the printout affected any? or were printouts looking normal at that time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

*** the constantly on is using the "greenprint" eco mode that you are supposed to do. Otherwise, as I found out, you waste all the ink wax on it printing out test pages every time it boots up. It's not in direct sunlight, and in normal temperature.

*** Yes the printouts were awful and from memory there were light patches all over it where the ink was not applying properly due to the marks on the roller.

(I did not really think the printer has heating problems or lacked an eco mode. But it was something to check on.)

Was the replacement fuser a refurbished fuser, or new ?

(I suspect that the old fuser may have had poor temperature control, leading to ink caking upon it... or a similar problem. But, do you know whether anything but the fuser was replaced, and whether any adjustment was done on the fuser temperature controls or anything similar?)

I may have to research this problem for some time... possibly 6 to 8 hours (mixed with other necessary business of the day, needless to say!) I want to give a well-grounded answer to your problem... since it obviously is not just a simple matter of 'it is within warranty [it isn't], have Xerox service it for you'.

Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No idea I'm afraid. I used to turn it on and off all the time when I first had it.

The new fuser was a new one direct from Xerox. All I did was take out the old from the side and put the new unit in.

No rush as I hardly use it anyway, but for the times when I do need it, it would be good to have it working! Thanks

Thank you for your patience.

The information I have found indicates that you may have a typical problem, when a ColorQube printer is seldom used. It's called 'stagnant ink.' It is caused by a printer of this type being On (and fairly hot) for a long time between printed pages... heat from the printhead discolors the ink(s).

Check for stagnant ink as follows:

Print a test page with color stripes, by pressing Up or Down button on the printer, to select TROUBLESHOOTING. Then press OK.
Then press the Up or Down button to select PRINT QUALITY PROBLEMS, and press OK.
Then press the Up or Down button to select ELIMINATE LIGHT STRIPES, and press OK.
Then press the Up or Down button to select LIGHT STRIPES TEST PAGE, and press OK.

The page that prints out should look like this:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Then, if there is any discoloration (relative to that example) noticed in the stripes of one ink color, take the corresponding ink stick out of the machine, and make a mark (as if using a crayon) with it next to the stripe.

If the color of the 'crayon mark' matches that of the stripe, then you have an ink color problem caused by something other than 'ink stagnation'.

If the color of the 'crayon mark' does *not* match that of the stripe, then you need to purge discolored ink from the printhead. As follows:
- if cyan is printing in some color other than the light blue color it should be, then print out a full color page of cyan - such as this page provided in PDF by Xerox:
http://www.support.xerox.com/KB_Connect/KB_Connect.asp?ksessID={6DD6C7D3-6EB6-4CD9-BB55-1E526767604E}&ArtID=CyanTestPdf&Xcntry=GBR&Xlang=en_GB&prodID=CQ8570&solID=1966&var1=x_8500_en
and then print that out. Until the color returns to the normal shade it should be, all over the page.
(And similarly for
Magenta: http://www.support.xerox.com/KB_Connect/KB_Connect.asp?ksessID={6DD6C7D3-6EB6-4CD9-BB55-1E526767604E}&ArtID=MagentaTestPdf&Xcntry=GBR&Xlang=en_GB&prodID=CQ8570&solID=1966&var1=x_8500_en )
(And for
Yellow: http://www.support.xerox.com/KB_Connect/KB_Connect.asp?ksessID={6DD6C7D3-6EB6-4CD9-BB55-1E526767604E}&ArtID=YellowTestPdf&Xcntry=GBR&Xlang=en_GB&prodID=CQ8570&solID=1966&var1=x_8500_en )
(And for Black: http://www.support.xerox.com/KB_Connect/KB_Connect.asp?ksessID={6DD6C7D3-6EB6-4CD9-BB55-1E526767604E}&ArtID=BlackTestPdf&Xcntry=GBR&Xlang=en_GB&prodID=CQ8570&solID=1966&var1=x_8500_en )

The instructions that go with this information also say that 50 to 100 pages may need to be printed, in some cases, until the color returns to normal. To me, that sounds outrageous or excessive, but if necessary, that's what the instructions say.

NOTE!: Before doing this color-page printing, please set the 'Print Quality' mode in the print driver to STANDARD and the 'Color Correction' ('TekColor Correction' in older print drivers) to NONE before doing the full-page color printouts... this allows it to purge only the color that is wrong.

Please rate my Answer - hopefully, favorably - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks - and good luck.
(I'd like to hear that the above method actually succeeded in curing the problem, if you'd care to let me know.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said before, I have tried all these things.

Although I did them again as requested. Colours are all fine on the test pages.

There were a few white lines and so I did all the Eliminate White Stripes, wasted a load of ink and paper and now have more white stripes than before!! I did the Advanced Option and nominated no '6' white strip to get cleaned... once again wasted a load of ink and paper and still have white stripes but in different places now. I also now am low on black ink after not printing anything except test sheets...

Any other ideas on what it may be please?

You may need to replace the printhead... with low-volume printing, it may be permanently contaminated with discolored ink... or, quite simply, it may have gone bad.

That's my last idea though.

It seems clear (to make a final comment) that low-volume printing with this type of printer (as opposed to with a laser printer) has problems, just as low-volume printing with inkjet-type printers definitely causes problems.

Unfortunately, after a glance over the market, these replacement printheads are very expensive. You might be well advised to get a laser printer instead - they stand up to infrequent printing much better... I have seen a very old HP Laserjet IIP -type compact laser (admittedly b&w, not color) still printing adequately after some 15 years of use.