Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Hi, I have Acer Aspire S3 running Linux and having problem

Hi, I have Acer Aspire S3 running Linux and having problem with EPSON XP-205. Printer works fine, but there is problem with its scanner. I try to use Simple scan, which recognize that scanner, but cant communicate even with drivers provided by EPSON.
It worked w/o any problems on ASUS EEE.
I'll be thankfull for any help
ThanX
Adam
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

In a case like this one, there are some questions I need to ask before advising you:

- Is the scanner hardware actually in good working condition? i.e. can you make a photocopy, using the Epson printer's own controls? which would prove the scanner hardware in good enough condition.

- What type of Linux are you trying to get the scanner working with, i.e. ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc. ?

- What error message(s) do you get as things now are?

- And, what source for the drivers that Epson provided, and were they intended for a particular build of Linux, or just for 'general Linux' ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Printer is brand new (or almost brand new) and works fine.

Printer and scanner works perfect on ASUS 1000 EEE with Linux Mint 13. I tried it also on this laptop on different version of Linux, like Ubuntu 10 to Ubuntu 13 as well as Mint 13 to 15 and always worked perfect with drivers provided by EPSON (www.epson.com). When i did exactly the same on ACER ASPIRE S3 (same versions of Linux, same version of drivers) printer works fine, scanner can't communicate. I tried 32 bit and 64 bit versions and always got the same result.

I also tried to use different scan software like Xsane, Iscan, Skanlite, gscan2pdf...but no luck.

All of them are working fine on ASUS EEE.

Simple scan shows on Preferences as a source "Epson ME-301/XP 200 Series" so it's OK. If you press the Scan button he is akting like he is scanning, but scanner does'nt move and after while closes w/o any notice.

Xsane shows :Failed to open device ' epkowa:usb:003:005': Device busy

Gscan2pdf after trying open device closes w/o notice.

Those drivers are general Linux:

iscan-data_1.24.0-2_all.deb

iscan_2.29.2-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb

Have you tried initiating and directing the scan solely from the Acer Aspire PC?

If you don't, then, when you press the SCAN button on the Epson printer, you may be trying to send the scan to the other computer (that it always worked fine on), the ASUS 1000 EEE. Because, despite all the drivers and software on the computer being correct and well installed, the printer/scanner device uses its own internal settings when you press its SCAN button (in most cases at least.)

I advise that you consult the documentation for your Epson printer/scanner, and look for 'settings' for scanning using the button.

If you lack adequate documentation, let me know, and I will look it up for you and recommend procedures in detail.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience: 10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.