Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Desktop Publisher -LW-840ic - which is a standby for

I have a Desktop Publisher -LW-840ic - which is a standby for use mainly as a typewriter - and is suddenly without power. Can this be corrected and is there a service department I could take it to for attention ?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

unfortunately this is most likely the result of an internal hardware failure. Specifically, I'd expect it is a bad internal power supply board, which isn't surprising given the age of the machine.

Nathan :

The one thing you can try here is a reset process,

Nathan :

unplug power at the mains, wait an hour, then press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds, keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after.

Nathan :

If still no response, that would tend to confirm a hardware failure. It is possible as well though that the wall adapter "brick" is faulty, you can try testing the output with a multimeter, or if you don't have a meter to test with leave it plugged in for about 15 minutes, then feel it to see if it is warm to the touch at all. If it is warm, the transformer is probably fine, meaning the issue is inside the main printer unit. At that point, while it is possible to fix, it is simply not worth the cost.

Nathan :

You'd pay £250+ for an average repair cost, while you could replace it, with either a basic inkjet printer or a typewriter, for under 100