Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Irregular Banding on scanned slide? Minolta Dimage

Irregular Banding across image of scanned slide? Minolta Dimage Elite.

I have been warned that the problem could be a TRANSPORT fault!

If this is your prognosis is the repair dependent on available spares.

Hope the image(jpg) helps!

Order No. 14144679-743

Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am not quite sure what you mean by a Transport Fault... but it looks to me, from the image you so helpfully provided, as if there were a voltage fluctuation in the scanner lamp, causing lighter and darker stripes of registration.

The voltage fluctuation (if so) is not evidently in the other circuitry such as the scanner bar motor (that moves the scanner bar with the scanner lamp in it, across the page.) - Of course if the page were scanner via a document feeder, the scanner bar motor would not be involved anyway.... forgive me for being generalized in this paragraph, but since you have not specified the model #, I cannot swear to all details of your problem. "Dimage Elite" could be several machines.

I would suspect the 'ballast' in the scanner lamp, if the scanner lamp is fluorescent-type and has a ballast. The lamp itself is not likely the problem, though swapping out the lamp (i.e. the scanner bulb) might be a good thing to try and not too expensive... also the lamp might be the problem if the 'ballast' circuitry is actually inside or included in the lamp.

Let me know what you think, and I will amend or extend my Answer further, as appropriate.