Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

My canon pixma ip4850 printer has suddenly stopped working.

My canon pixma ip4850 printer has suddenly stopped working. It won't turn on and has never in the past done this. can anyone help me please?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try unplugging the printer, unplugging the power cord while it is On,
Leave it that way for a while - say an hour or more.
Plug in again,to an outlet that you have just tested another device on, that is certainly delivering power.
See if that gets it working.

If not, try removing the paper tray, closing all hatches, removing the ink cartridges and setting them aside on their sides on a folded paper towel... and picking it up, turning it upside down, and shaking it ... listening to see whether there is any rattling or clinking inside it, as of staples or paper clips etc. that might be shorting out the circuits inside... if so, open it up again after turning it right-side up, and see if you can find and fish out any such metal debris, before trying to use it again. (If what you hear didn't already fall out of the printer.)

After that... if it still doesn't even turn On, you may have to have it serviced - or replaced.

(If it is less than a year old, servicing would be done free of charge by Canon UK, if you contacted them and put in a failed-within-warranty claim on the printer.)