Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I'm planning soon to invest in a high-quality flatbed photo-scanner.

Customer Question

I'm planning soon to invest in a high-quality flatbed photo-scanner. The main purpose is to digitise ancient photos (although I also have many more recent ones). By "ancient", I mean roll film from the 1940s & 50s, such as 620, 120 & 127 sizes, mainly black and white although a few colour also. In many cases I have only negatives, the prints having been given away at the time.
I note that many reviews claim the model in question "scans negatives", but I can't find out whether this means the result can be VIEWED ON-SCREEN AS A POSITIVE before one makes the decision whether to keep, print or discard. Please can you enlighten me?
Many thanks,
Jean
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. If the scanner says it will scan negatives, it will scan them and convert them to a positive in order to ready it for digital printing. This page has a full explanation of how they work: Click Here The CanoScan film models like this one tend to be very reliable: Click Here If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not actually having a problem yet, I just don't want to waste a lot of money on an item which will not do what I need! I have read reviews of Canon models, and some have mentioned problems of software-updating, i.e. being unable to update the scanner when computer is updated. I have also read reviews of Epson scanners - mainly good, but they are more expensive than Canon.

I live in the UK.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No matter what model you get that is eventually going to happen. You can buy the most expensive machine on the market, but when windows/Mac update to new versions (usually 3-4) the scanners have since been discontinued meaning the Manufacturer will never write new drivers for them.

A lot of people complain about this because they have models that were made for Windows XP. It's been over 15 years and more than 4 versions of Windows since then. So those machines do not have compatible drivers. This is going to happen with any hardware and any software you buy.

When it comes to computers 5 years is the equivalent of 30 years in something like automotive as the computer industry advances very quickly. So I also do not recommend spending on the highest price models. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** helpful explanation. I had, and loved, Windows XP but I accept that everything concerning computers has a relatively short life-span. I have been waiting for the newest version of Windows (I hated Vista nad can't say I love Windows 8), to buy my next desktop, and will check compatibility with that before deciding on my scanner, in oreder to maximise its working lifespan.

No need to reply again - I'll fill in the ratings section provided i can get back to it!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Windows 10 is actually almost out and is going to be free for either the first year or 2. You can reserve a copy here: Click Here That way if you like it your new computer can come with 10 and you can still update the Vista machine. I would wait a couple months until after Windows 10 is released to look for scanner though as well as it can take a few months for devices to catch up. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again. On that answer, I was going to upgrade the rating from "Good" to Excellent", but the system tells me it will charge me a further £22 if I do so! That's a bit steep, so please accept my compliments and thanks instead......

Jean

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Don't worry there is no need to upgrade it thank you very much for the thought though I appreciate it and hope you have a great day.
.