Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Geemarc Windsor Model 1

I have just attached a Geemarc Windsor Model 1 to an extension socket but it does not ring., I have tested it on the main socket and first extension socket and it does . I have tested other phones on the extension sockets and they ring. It is the second extension on the line and the wiring is approximately 20 metres from the main line. I have not exceeded the REN rating which is 3 in total

Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the Geemarc phone in question does not work on that extension, but other phones of similar type do work on that extension - and, if the Geemarc phone works on other extensions, then the Geemarch phone is probably marginally defective, in that it cannot use a slightly fainter signal than normal, that other fully working phones can.

Either that or it has a trifle of dirt on its contacts, which might produce the same effect If you wished to you could clean the metal contacts in the Geemarc phone's socket or jack, with a fresh cotton swab moistened slightly in rubbing alcohol, allow 5 minutes for drying time, and try it again on that extension.

But ultimately, I would recommend that firstly, you not forget that this Geemarch phone in particular is perhaps marginally defective (in case it has other problems), and that you use it on another extension where it will work. I think that makes sense, altogether, in this case.

If this answers the question adequately as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer - or Reply, telling me how you would rate my work on your question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer. You say that my Geemarc phone might be marginally defective and it makes sense to use it on another extension. However, my mother bought it to "match the furniture" (it has a walnut effect) and does not want either of the other phones in its place! If it is defective is it dangerous to use?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If it simply does not ring, but works otherwise... whether that is dangerous depends upon whether the ringer is electric, versus electronic. I would presume it is the latter, which is less dangerous even if malfunctioning.

If it is *only* the ringer that does not work, and if it is an electronic ringer, then it is not likely to be dangerous, no.

If this completes the case as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer. Or Reply To Expert, telling what rating you would apply to my work.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience: 10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.