Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have been using Siemens Gigaset phones connected to a

Customer Question

Hi I have been using Siemens Gigaset phones connected to a base and it has worked fine. But since a few days I can only receive calls and cannot make any outgoing calls.
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them? 2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) yes I have multiple gigaset handsets connected to one base (nothing new and phones were working ok a few days ago) from which I cannot make outgoing calls.
2) Separately I also have two Alessi Siemens phones on the same line and they do work for both outgoing and incoming calls. Also I checked with BT and there are no problems which makes me think there is a problem with the gigasets out of the blue and I wonder if I just need to de-register and re-register them to the base. Just don't understand why the only work for incoming call. Lastly I have a switch at home and two lines on the same number which allowed me theoretically to use two different handsets at the same time. A feature that worked with the Alessis but not with the gigasets perhaps because I used more than one base station with the Alessi's (and could transfer calls from one phone to another--with the gigasets I was told Incan only make internal transfers to phones on the same base).
3) landline from BT.
4) don't believe so.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info,This is not a line issue since the other phones work, and you are correct that you can't transfer between systems, just handsets of the same system. This would indicate a hardware failure in the gigaset base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing is the base station is not a charging unit. So I can't place a phone on it. Do you think I should de-reg and re-reg the phones or one phone to the base?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, you can skip that step then.Try this first, failing that then you can try the dereg/rereg routine.