Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have just asked a question re my Canon iP1900 printer & a

I have just asked a question re my Canon iP1900 printer & a response said I would be helped after paying the £13 which I did. So what is happening now ?
Category: Office Equipment
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. It looks like your prior question, which I'm unable to fully view, was incorrectly posted/routed to the digital cameras section of the site, rather than printers.I'm happy to help, but could you please provide additional detail (complete description) of the problem, including any error message/codes you may see, status of each light on the printer (color, solid/flashing, any pattern if blinking, etc)?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Nathan
Sorry for delayed reaction but I did wait a lot longer than the 'estimated time' & then had to go out.
My Canon iP1900 printer is hung up with the orange (paper jam etc) light/button & the green (on/off) one flashing alternately. The only 'error' message says "Attention Required". When that has happened previously just pressing the orange has solved the problem but not this time. I have also tried :- switching the printer off ( with the green button & also by unplugging the power); lifting the front, large cover (which normally brings the ink cartridges across); unplugging & plugging back in again the USB connection.
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.
Hello William,No worries, take as long as you need to read and reply. Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etcWhile it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is an 8 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for $50-80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello again Nathan
Thanks for the reply. As you may realise from what I said about pressing the orange button before I now believe that I did that as a reaction to some error (?) message saying that the ink absorber was 'full' & I thought that from what I read somewhere (about the absorber) that I may, at least, prolong the printers life a little longer. Sorry, I had forgotten about doing that ( my memory is not as good as it used to be - I am 79 ) & you are obviously right that it is time to scrap the iP 1900 ( which has not done badly if the service life is ( really ?) only 3 years & it has survived 8 ). Coincidentally I had already bought a better printer to replace another one which I only used for more important print jobs such as 'special' photos.
Regards & thanks for the help.
Bill Watson
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.
You're very welcome, Bill. Yes, all consumer grade inkjet printers (regardless of brand) are designed for a 3 year service life. The older they were, the better built, so getting longer does happen, but I wouldn't expect more than 3 out of the replacement.