Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I am a 27 year old female I class myself as healthy but I have

Customer Question

I am a 27 year old female I class myself as healthy but I have just had some blood results done at my docters, my thyroid came back boarderline tsh level 5.15. This the 2nd time I have had a boarderline result but had a thyroid test done in december 2011 and it was ok my tsh level was then 4.3. I am really worried why my thyroid keeps going up and down. I am feeling tired and moody and i have very bad anxiety and started to feel dizzy. I dont know wether these symtoms are because i am very anxious as I do suffer with my nerves. This is really worrying me as I dont know what is causing this. can you give me any advice
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

most endocrinology doctors think that TSH levels between 4.3 and 5.15 are really too high to be "normal". the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist in 2003 suggested new "normal" range for TSH to be between 0.3 and 3.0. Anything above 3.0 can be argued as hypothyroid.

since you are having symptoms of fatigue and other symptoms, you need to have more blood testing. you should get blood testing for anti-thyroid peroxidase antibody and anti thyroid globulin antibodies to see if these are elevated. if so, you could have an autoimmune thyroiditis which can keep your thyroid from functioning properly and make you hypothyroid.

talk to your doctor about getting the above antibody blood test to see if you might have a thyroiditis condition going on.

let me know if you have questions.