Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

My TSH is 4.71 lab range is .45-4.5. Shoul I start taking

Customer Question

my TSH is 4.71 lab range is .45-4.5. Shoul I start taking synthroid?
recently I vomite, have cramps, get tired, depressed...
thank you DR
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

what dose of levothyroxine did you use?

did you get your TSH tested while on it?

have you had your B12 levels and vitamin D levels checked? these can also cause fatigue and depression if low.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

to day I vomite every 2 hour only sour liqiud (acid) shoul I take alka seltzer to neutralize my stomach?

my level of B12 and vit D are normal

in case I have another problem not falling in your expertise as oncologist can i have the answer?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
you can try alka selzer,

but over the counter pepcid ac or zantac or maalox or mylanta most likely would be better.

some doctors think that your TSH level should be between 0.3 and 3.0 and that anything above 3.0 is considered hypothyroid. however, you have tried thyroid hormone already and this has not helped your symptoms. so I don't think getting your TSH level to a lower level necessarily is the answer.

you should get your stomach acid issue into control. you should get H pylori testing to see if this bacteria is in your stomach. and you might need to go on a long term antacid blocker like the ones above to help your stomach acid issue.