Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year (which has now

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year (which has now all gone) and in January this year found a large lump in my left breast. I was fast tracked to a specialist and an ultrasound showed a large tumor and many smaller cysts. The specialist said she would prefer to leave it for now but if it got larger or became painful then I should go back. It has got painful and very much larger and i'm also experiencing discomfort under my arm but unfortunately I cant get in to see my doctor until the end of next week. Please could i have some advice on what I should do?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you can use some ice or cold compresses on the breast and arm pit area to help decrease swelling and pain for now.

you need to see your doctor as soon as possible.

the cyst could be infected and you might need a course of antibiotics to help fight the infection.

you also need a biopsy of the breast mass to make sure it is not malignant and not a breast cancer going on in the complex cyst. I'm surprised they haven't ordered a breast biopsy for you already.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for your help - Would it be ok to wait untill the end of next week to see my Doctor or would it be best to seek medical attention from my local hospital?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
since you have had the breast lump since January, it should be ok to wait a few more days to see your doctor who knows you best this week.

but make sure you ask if you need a breast biopsy to rule out breast cancer.

ask if it might be an infection.

ask if you might benefit from other scans such as a breast ultrasound scan or a breast MRI scan.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David"

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com