Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

Hi I have graves disease, and have been taking carbimazole

Customer Question

Hi I have graves disease, and have been taking carbimazole for nearly 3 years, currently 10 mgs daily. my tsh 1.55 at present. I have a thyroid cyst of 1.77x2.54 cms and am not sure if I should have it removed. It is sometimes uncomfortable, but I am worried about becoming hypothyroid.does the cyst pressing on the thyroid cause it to be overactive? thanks
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

if the cyst is bothering you, you can have a thyroidectomy and then replace all of your thyroid hormone with pills

Dr. David :

this will be much more stable thyroid hormones for you

Dr. David :

with graves disease, your body is making antibodies against your thyroid gland causing it to be over active.

Dr. David :

by removing the gland all together or using I-131 radioactive iodine to destroy the gland, there is no residual gland left to be overactive and then you can supplement with thyroid hormone to be much more stable with your thyroid hormone.