Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Where my chin is slightly under but only slightly i have a

Customer Question

Where my chin is slightly under but only slightly i have a hard solid lump appear. What could this be?

I have tried hot compresses but no joy. I get a lumps all the time but this is hard unlike others

Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

This is in the area of your submandibular gland. It can become enlarged due to many reasons. The most common are viral infections, throat/ear infections, facial infections, and dental problems.

It may stay enlarged until the infection goes away on its own or is treated. Sometimes it will become enlarge for no apparent reason.

You cannot get it to drain with hot compresses since it has no attachment to the skin.

If it does not go away or significantly shrink in the next week or two, you should see your GP.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi thank you for your answer.

I still have the lump and I am also suffering with sores inside my mouth. One of my gums feel quite hard as I have a missing tooth there. I dont know if these are related...

I am booked in to see a gynaecologist as I have been bleeding for 3 months so I dont know if this is happening due to increased levels of blood being lost?????????

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
The lump is not due to increase in menstrual bleeding. If one of your gums feels hard, you likely have an infection there. It is draining to the submandibular gland and causing it to be enlarged. The mouth sores may also be causing enlargement of the gland.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, do you have any followup concerns?