Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

the question I wont 2 no is 1 what is it 2 does it keep growing

Customer Question

the question I wont 2 no is 1 what is it 2 does it keep growing 3 does it need removing 4 what can you take 2 ease pain etc
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Do you know the results of thyroid function tests?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

A goitre refers to an enlarged thyroid, but there are several different possible causes of a goitre. Some of them are progressive, so will continue to get larger, but others will simply remain the same size over time.

Treatment would depend upon which underlying cause is present. The first step would be to assess kidney function, which is why I asked the above question. In general, it would only need surgical removal if it cannot be treated medically and is so large that it is causing significant symptoms because of its size, such as difficulty breathing or swallowing. If it is so large that it is simply uncomfortable, then it may still be removed, but it is a more subjective decision. If there is more significant pain, then that also would warrant consideration of surgical removal.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.