Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I am worried that I still have rib pain after the operation

Customer Question

I am worried that I still have rib pain after the operation on 7/11/13. I originally had it after being examined by a GP and then playing the flute seemed to make it worse, then the mammogram and operation - but it is still there. Seems to be worse after playing flute and recorder.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

this is from the breast surgery.

Customer:

How can you tell?

Dr. David :

from the timing.

Dr. David :

you should also get a chest xray or chest CT scan to check for pleural effusion.

Dr. David :

have you had a chest xray after the surgery?

Customer:

No, what is pleural effusion?

Dr. David :

fluid outside of the lungs and inside of the chest wall.

Dr. David :

I have to see a patient now,

Dr. David :

I'll be back in 15 minutes.

Dr. David :

sorry for the delay.

Dr. David :

I am back.

Dr. David :

have you had a chest xray after the surgery yet?

Dr. David :

it could also be a mild rib fracture as well.

Dr. David :

which can sometimes happen after a surgery like that.

Dr. David :

that can be seen possibly on chest xray or rib xray series

Customer:

No, that wasn't mentioned. Because I have been very fearful they are very concerned to reassure me , but I know from past experience (I had pains in caesarean scar when pregnant with twins - was actually scar opening up, not pulling pains) that reassurance isn't always appropriate.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

I would ask for a chest xray to check the lungs and the ribs

Dr. David :

to see if there is a rib fracture or a pleural effusion fluid which could be causing your rib pain.

Dr. David :

does this make sense?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Customer:

Yes. Could it be cancer?

Dr. David :

no, I doubt it is cancer.

Dr. David :

but a chest xray would be a good first step giving your symptoms and history.

Dr. David :

thank you for your patience.

Dr. David :

sorry about the delay again.

Dr. David :

I really did have to go see a patient at that time.

Dr. David :

I am at work currently.

Dr. David :

it was another woman with breast cancer.

Customer:

You are very kind. We are fortunate that people like you have chosen to work in this field, which must be very difficult at times. Thank you for answering. I will get a message to the consultant here asking about a chest xray. We have a system here where you are assigned to a 'breat care nurse'. I think they see their role as to listen and reassure but I will make the point rationally that this could be looked at while witing for the oncotype test. Thank you again,

Customer:

Fraces

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Thank you. Sorry,Just to reiterate - I don't think I was aware of pain before the manual examination, but was after then and it got worse with the mammogram and operation. It got better but gets worse if I play (flute and recorder) and is a sharpish pain. I am worried. I did have pleurisy a few years ago. I will ask for an x-ray. Thanks. Frances

Dr. David :

don't be worried.

Dr. David :

it could be a small rib injury from the surgery.

Dr. David :

or it could be scar tissue from your prior pleurisy in your lung cavity.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave +++ positive feedback below when done.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr David

my husband contacted the oncotype test company yesterday and they said I could ring them today for the result. I think I will have to but I dread finding out. Rib pain has lessened, I can ring from 7/00am our time, that.s in about half an hour.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
I am glad your rib pain is better

let me know what the oncotype results show.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Result wasn't through when I phoned, they said Monday. I'm seeing the surgeon on Monday about rib and also I'll ask her to check breast.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
good luck

thanks for the update.