Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I am a 32 year old women with a baby of 5 months old. After

Customer Question

I am a 32 year old women with a baby of 5 months old.
After I gave birth I tried to breastfeed and was unable so I pumped breast milk for a month. During this time whilst my breasts were full with milk I felt a lump. It was round smooth and firm. I paid private to go to a one stop breast clinic and they examined me and said it felt benign but they would ultrasound it. The radiologist said it was just inflamed tissue probably full of milk and I should try and "milk" that area when pumping. Fast forward to now and although I stopped pumping milk four months ago the lump was still there. It is between two lobules and is very close to the skin. I went to my own GP this time and asked them to check the lump as I felt that because I had no more milk the lump should have disappeared. I was referred to the breast clinic where I got an ultrasound and the radiologist was unsure what it was so took a Fine Needle Biopsy. This came back as inconclusive so the consultant said she wanted to remove it during surgery as they were unsure what it was. I had surgery yesterday and she cut the lump out but said they are treating it as a skin issue rather than a breast issue. The lump was sent to skin pathology. They wrote on my notes 'excision of subcutaneous nodule' I have to wait 2.5 weeks for results. A few questions I had:-
1) If the results were malignant would they come back quicker?
2) What is meant by treating it as a "skin issue" rather than breast?
3) Could this be cancer if so would it be breast or skin?
4) What are the possibilties it could be?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

no, malignant results would not come back quicker.

Dr. David :

the lump was due to most likely a clogged pore of the skin resulting in a subaceous cyst which comes from the skin.

Dr. David :

the lump didn't seem like it was from breast tissue inside of the breast.

Dr. David :

I think it is most likely a subaceous cyst or a skin cyst.

Dr. David :

this doesn't sound like breast cancer.

Customer:

Ok thats great thanks for the info, will keep my fingers crossed for the results, thanks again :-)