Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I am 70 years old and for more than a year have had a small,

I am 70 years old and for more than a year have had a small, firm, slightly mobile lump in the upper quadrant of my breast. For complex family reasons, I cannot consult a doctor or have a mammogram. I realise a diagnosis is impossible, but as there are absolutely no other signs - no puckering, no change in colour or in the nipple, no change in the skin (it looks like a very healthy breast, in fact) - can a woman of my age have a fibroadenoma or some such benign lump?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, someone your age could have a benign lump in your breast like a fibroadenoma.

Dr. David :

if it hasn't changed in size or grown in a year, that is a little bit more comforting that it could be benign.

Dr. David :

so you can't get a breast ultrasound?

Customer:

No, my family circumstances rule that out unless there were much more pressing reason. I have never been ill, never been in hospital except to give birth, and this lump may have been there for much longer, as I never did breast examinations, and found this quite by chance.I know I am asking you for the impossible, but you have already been somewhat reassuring, and I thank you. The lump feels hard and rather irregular, and the rest of the breast may be slightly' fibrous'-feeling too, compared to the other. When I touch it, it moves. There is really no other symptom at all. Am I being of any help to you? I realise I want you to say, this is not cancer, and you can't do that, but any informed opinion helps my starte of mind!

Dr. David :

it is established medical practice that women should be getting mammograms once a year at your age for screening purposes to catch breast cancer early so it can be treated before it becomes a "more pressing problem"

Dr. David :

that is why things like routine colonoscopies and breast mammograms and pap smears are recommended when you are healthy.

Dr. David :

to keep you healthy.

Dr. David :

I don't understand why your family circumstance would keep you from having these routine screening tests. unless it is for very religious reasons or something else.

Dr. David :

it sounds like you have lumpy bumpy breasts

Dr. David :

movable is a good sign that it is benign.

Dr. David :

hard is a worse sign.

Dr. David :

not growing in a year or so is a good sign.

Dr. David :

you should still get a mammogram and breast ultrasound.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist