deardr
deardr, Doctor
Experience:  I have worked in a Medical School for last 10 years as a faculty.
25541092

I have a lump under my jaw thats been there since Xmas it

I have a lump under my jaw that's been there since Xmas it moves left to right but the root stays in one place. It doesn't hurt I had root canal on the side about 3 years ago. Other than that I don't know why it's there
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  deardr replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Were any investigations done to see for the cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No investigations

Expert:  deardr replied 3 years ago.
May I know its size? Is it increasing in size?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No increase- small as I said its as though its stuck in one place by the root but can move left to ring if I put pressure

Expert:  deardr replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for additional information.

Two possibilities need to be considered. Most common cause is lymph node. If it is larger than 1 cm than it needs to be evaluated further. Inflammation or infection in the region drained by the nodes cause them to increase in size. Generally these nodes are painful to touch. In your case I would not worry if there is no pain and if the size is less than 1 or 1.5 cm.

Other cause can be enlarged submandibular salivary gland. Again it is painful if inflamed. It may get enlarged if the ducts within it are blocked.

One may be able to palpate normal glands too in this region. These are non tender. no increase in size relieves me.

In your case - I would get ultrasound for neck to see for the cause {and for peace of mind}. Few signs should prompt immediate medical evaluation - Increase in size of the swelling/ redness of overlying skin/ fever or pain.

Wish you well.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have no pain and the size has stayed the same is it likely to be cancer?

Expert:  deardr replied 3 years ago.
I would not think of cancer with no increase in size.

It is likely a normal gland.

Please do not worry.

Best
deardr, Doctor
Experience: I have worked in a Medical School for last 10 years as a faculty.