Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I have had an underactive thyroid for thirteen years, and been

Customer Question

I have had an underactive thyroid for thirteen years, and been on thyroxine the whole time. Four years ago around the time I was entering the menopause, I was diagnosed with AF,blaming overdose of Thyroxine,I have always been sensitive to the dosage, and often they change it, so was prescribed beta blockers. At present I am on 75mcg of Thyroxine and 3.75mg of Bisoprolol. For the past two months, I have not been well at all, and been to the GP many times,have been taken to hospital in an ambulance, and attended A&E twice, without being diagnosed with anything. My symptoms are acute fatigue (after I take my meds at breakfast, I can fall asleep three hours later) a wave of the most horrible feeling,like my soul is leaving my body, or im going to die, comes over me,I feel I need to hold on to something as think im going to pass out. These feelings get worse in the evening when relaxing, and when in bed during the night, I wake up suddenly with a horrrible feeling im going to pass out. I have not slept properly for around eight weeks because of this. I have recently been referred to an Endocronologist and Cardiologist, but both have a long waiting time of 8 weeks plus. I am really struggling,as I am still at work,and there does not seem to be an end to this,as no one seems to identify what I have,and what is causing it. I feel because I have both a problem with my thyroid, and AF, the medical profession are concentrating on both these things, and never looked outwith. Im looking for a second opinion thanks!
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

What is your most recent TSH level

Dr. David :

do you have excessive anxiety or panic symptoms? you could have having anxiety disorder causing these waves of horrible feelings like you are going to die.

Dr. David :

the thyroid hormone medication did not cause your atrial fibrillation.

Dr. David :

but excessive anxiety and panic attacks can cause your heart to race as well.

Customer:

Not sure what my recent TSH level is, but on my last visit to GP, six weeks ago he said its border line, but did not recommend increasing meds, and to wait and see how things went. (My AF seems to get worse when my Thyroxine is increased) Otherwise it stays calm. Im not an anxious person, my friends all say I am horizontal! and I am not a worrier. I am being fitted with a 24 blood pressure monitor, by the GP in two weeks, again this is taking ages as only one monitor in the surgery between everyone! I have been trying to look outwith the box myself, eg to see if im lacking in any vitamins, dehydration, meds causing some kind of reaction, post prandial hypotension etc. In general im a very healthy person, I eat well,power walk and have a very active job, and I have nothing to stress about or have any worries. Im anything but a couch potato, so the way I have been feeling, is now getting me down, plus I have weeks to wait for appointments.

Dr. David :

I know

Dr. David :

the NHS can be a long wait to see anyone

Dr. David :

you could be having thyroiditis causing some of your symptoms.

Dr. David :

some people produce antibodies which attack the thyroid gland which can cause their thyroids to be sporatic in releasing excessive amounts of thyroid hormones.

Dr. David :

this is called hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Dr. David :

and can be checked for with special expensive blood test to look for anti thyroid antibodies like anti thyroid peroxidase antibody and anti thyroid globulin antibodies.

Dr. David :

this could explain why your heart races and your AF is worse at certain times.

Dr. David :

you can ask your doctors to check for these anti thyroid antibodies on a blood test

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer:

Thanks for your help!

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist