Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I have a grade 4 malignant glioblastoma. the team at North

I have a grade 4 malignant glioblastoma. the team at North Staffs have told me it is inoperable and chemotherapy will not cure me just give me a few months extra. I have asked to be referred to the Walton Centre for a second opinion.was this the right thing to do ?
***** *****
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

the right thing is to try radiation and chemotherapy (temodar) to attack the grade 4 malignant glioblastoma cancer in the brain to try to shrink it

Dr. David :

radiation therapy and chemotherapy together can help improve your survival only by a few months.

Dr. David :

it is up to you if you want to do treatment or no treatment

Dr. David :

but you should have the option to do treatment if you want to fight the cancer

Dr. David :

the oral chemotherapy pill Temodar is very well tolerated and has very few side effects.

Dr. David :

I would ask to see a radiation oncology expert doctor as well in the uk and talk about radiation therapy.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I requested that my care be transferred to the Walton centre and since speaking with a oncologist there, I have agreed to a course of oral chemotherapy . I had a course of radiation immediately following my operation in 2012 but follow up scans have revealed a second tumour which is growing slowly.
Once again thanks for your prompt reply. I have been resisting chemo because I thought it would make me ill ,however I know see that my options are very limited
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
best of luck to you

you are still eligible for gamma knife stereotactic radiosurgery even if you have had radiation before to small round areas of tumor progression which could help still control the cancer if needed.

best of luck to you

let me know if you have other questions.

thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist