Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

Hi,I have had post menopause bleeding,started on 14 th aug

Customer Question

Hi,I have had post menopause bleeding,started on 14 th aug this year ,after 7 years of no periods.Im 57 in October.It went fom dark blood for 8 days then lots of fesh blood with clots.And in a lot of pain.I was admitted to hospital for 24 hours,given medication,to stop the bleeding.and a vainal ultrasound,and taking samples. I am on estroen patches for 6 yeears,and had a coil fitted for 5 years,which was removed 1 year ago,Iv only been on the estrogen patches since.And on being in hospital,i heard the doctors talking and saying I shuld have been given progesterone as well,when the coil was taken out,on getting the vaginal scan,all he could tell me then ws my womb lining was about an inch thick.So now im at home waiting on results in a week,So,iv found on the internet,ladies in my situation are at high risk of cancer because I wasn't given progesterone? Is this correct please? Regard Mr Margaret Dickson.Tel;07880822153.I got an email from you,asking for old password ***** then adding a new password.i don't hve an old password,im a new customer.!

Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

any women who has post menopausal vaginal bleeding and a history of estrogen therapy is at risk for uterine cancer.

Dr. David :

uterine cancer can be caused by supplemental estrogen and can cause post menopausal vaginal bleeding.

Dr. David :

estrogen by itself can increase risks for vaginal bleeding.

Dr. David :

and uterine cancer.

Dr. David :

I am glad your doctors have done a uterine ultrasound and a uterine biopsy.

Dr. David :

let me know what that shows.

Dr. David :

if it shows uterine cancer, then you will need a hysterectomy to surgically remove your uterus.

Dr. David :

usually that cures most women of their uterine cancer.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: Were the doctors negligent not to have given me progesterone as well as with the estrigen for past year??
Dr. David :

yes, the doctors should have given you progesterone along with the estrogen.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

Were the doctors negligent for not giving me progesterone along with the estrogen for the past year,im sitting here in tears because of all this,wondering what the outlook is??

Dr. David :

I am sorry

Dr. David :

don't be scared.

Dr. David :

you will do fine.

Dr. David :

if you need surgery, your doctor will arrange for a hysterectomy to remove your uterus.

Dr. David :

usually this cures the urterine cancer.

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

Its looking likely that I have the cancer,as I stil have pain as well,and with my womb lining being 1 ithick.?

Dr. David :

yes,

Dr. David :

uterine cancer can cause bleeding and can be seen in women who have history of estrogen therapy

Dr. David :

and also a thick uterine lining.

Dr. David :

hopefully the cancer is caught early and you can have you uterus removed surgically

Dr. David :

and you will be then cured of your uterine cancer.

Dr. David :

in some patients they need radiation therapy to the pelvis for a few weeks.

Customer: It's looking likely it wil be cancer. Due to what I told you and my womb being 1 inch thickness??
Dr. David :

did you see my reply above?

Customer: Yes thankyou.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I girhit to day. I have such bad bachace too. ? Would the problem with the womb cause this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to sY. I have bad bachace too. Eith the problem with the rom. Be causing this??
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
the backache needs more testing to see what is causing it.

you should get an ultrasound scan of your kidneys to make sure your urine flow is not being blocked someplace.

sometimes you can have a very large uterus or cervix and this can block off urine flow from the kidneys and the kidneys can then swell up with fluid (called hydronephrosis) and this can cause aches and pains

this is rare, but should be checked for
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Also my bowels haven't worked for past 12 days?im on 20mls per day of lactulose??

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
sounds like you are very constipated.

you might need an enema along with your lactulose

and you might need a stronger laxative like magnesium citrate which can help with enemas.