Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

Please can you advise. I have a -lobar inverted right nipple

Please can you advise. I have a bi-lobar inverted right nipple which has been present for 2years, last mammogram was 18 months ago and apart from this the mammogram was normal. 4 weeks ago in this breast I got a 'tingling sensation' and the nipple has since been very sensitive, however as far I can tell apart from the inversion the breast looks normal , I have seen my family doctor who examined me twice and who did not feel there was an issue, no lumps, no discharge. Whilst it is not painful as such do I need to be concerned and have you any idea what might cause these sensations?, my plan is to give it a couple of weeks and if its not gone go back to the doctor, do you think this is ok? I am concerned it may be cancer but because of the inversion may it just be this that is the problem?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I think it is ok.

Dr. David :

you have had the area examined many times and mammograms have been normal.

Dr. David :

dry skin can cause the nipple to be more sensitive.

Dr. David :

you can get a breast ultrasound and breast MRI scan.

Dr. David :

but it doesn't sound like breast cancer is causing your inverted nipple.

Customer:

I will see my family dr tomorrow and ask if I can get a mammogram, she seemed reluctant to send me for one when I saw her a couple of weeks ago, but I'll have another go with her. What is the cause of inversion and is there anything I can use to persuade

Customer:

her to send me for mammography?

Dr. David :

well, you need a mammogram once a year.

Dr. David :

if your last one was 18 months ago, you need a new mammogram this year.

Dr. David :

in the UK, they may only want you to have a mammogram once every two years.

Dr. David :

but in the USA, we recommend a mammogram once a year after age 58

Customer:

In the uk we only get them every 3 years, so just to ask what causes inversion?

Dr. David :

you could have loss of fat in your areola which can cause nipple inversion

Dr. David :

you can always ask for a private mammogram

Dr. David :

you can say you are having nipple discharge and this will give more urgency to get another mammogram.

Dr. David :

but I bet you don't have breast cancer causing your nipple inversion.

Customer:

I don't mind paying for the private mammogram it's just I can't afford private chemo etc should it come to that, so I am reassured by your comment, but I will go and see what she says .... hopefully 3rd time lucky

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

you will be fine.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done please leave positive feedback below

Customer:

Dr. David :

we only get credit after positive feedback

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist