Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

In 1996 my husband was diagnosed with a Sarnovial Sarcoma but

In 1996 my husband was diagnosed with a Sarnovial Sarcoma but it was in his throat. A non smoker and light drinker we couldn't work out how this had happened. After a 14 1/2 hour complex op with three surgeons and their teams it was removed. He had six weeks of intense radiotherapy and only in the last couple of years went to yearly checks. He has had a few problems such as his spleen rupturing and having to be removed, ironically we came close to losing him through that. He ruptured a disc in his back and has recently recovered from a broken ankle. He is now 54 and his health over the last few years has been poor. He has now got to revisit the hospital for more tests because his myeloma scree results are poor. Can you help me understand why and what it could mean please?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

I think you mean synovial sarcoma, correct?

I am sorry for his prior diagnosis.

you want to understand why his myeloma screening tests are poor?

can you tell me the results of his tests?

exactly what testsing results are poor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, sorry Dr David, you are correct, it's my spelling. I am afraid we were not told the results only that they were poor and he had to go for more tests. I am sorry I cannot give you any more information. We were told that the myeloma screen was very poor. He went for blood tests as he wasn't feeling well. He is tired but cannot sleep, he has no appetite. He takes blood pressure pills (high blood pressure) stomach pills for acid reflux and has now been put on penicillin which he has to take three times a week permanently. He has been feeling poorly for a while but thought nothing of it. Now this has come up.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I would ask his doctors to get a copy of his test results.

I would be happy to review them with you.

if his myeloma screening test was "poor" he could have a diagnosis of multiple myeloma

multiple myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells which come from the bone marrow.

this can cause poor appetite and bone pain

he needs xrays of all of the bones in his body to check for lytic lesions and holes in his bones.

he might beneift from marinol medication or megace or smoking medical marijuana to help his appetite.

steroids are sometimes used to help fight multiple myeloma and can also help his appetite as well

let me know if you have other questions.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist