Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer about15 months ago; I underwent

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer about15 months ago; I underwent surgery (colonic re-section) in August 2014.
My initial follow-up check, in January showed no trace of cancer indicators and the fuller endoscopy and scan took place in July.
The endoscopy results showed 2 small polypts which were removed and proved to be benign; at the time of my review, the scan results were not available and I went on a previously booked holiday to Yorkshire.
When I contacted the hospital during this reak I was told that the scan had shown 2 small leisions on my liver. It was explained that the results would be sent to Addenbrookes Hospitah, where a specialist Team would discuss the results and recomend what treatment, if any, was advised.
Does this mean that the cancer has returned, and if so, what are the treatment options and the prognosis?
After my first operation, I was told that chemo-therapy could not be considered because I have cardio-myopathy. Can you give me any information so that I might be able to enjoy the rest of my break?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,i understand your concerns.2 small lesions in the liver can be benign in most cases like simple liver cysts, hemangiomas, or nodules commonly.Still, in the worst case scenario, assuming they are metastatic colon cancer, this is termed as limited metastasis since no other organ is involved per CT scan.This can be treated surgically by removing the part of the liver with lesions.Liver has good regenerating capacity --so you will not have any problem with recovery.Radiofrequency ablation of the liver lesions is another relative less invasive option.So chemotherapy is still not required in this case.Do not worry.Please stay in touch with your doctor. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/