Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

Please could you explain this diagnosis , my mum had

Please could you explain this diagnosis for me, my mum had a biopsy taken in April when she was admitted to hospital for the removal of several tumors on her bladder, the results showed G2T4a + cis, please could you explain.
Elizabeth
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

G2 means grade 2 which means intermediate grade. grade is a description of how the cancer cells look under the microscope.

T4a is the tumor staging classification of the tumor which means the bladder cancer has grown outside of the bladder and invaded into other organs.

cis could be short for cisplatin which is a chemotherapy agent which can be used to treat bladder cancer possibly.

there is more to the staging such as N category and M category which tell the lymph node status and the Metastasis status of the tumor. usually CT scans of the abdomen and pelvis are used to look to see if the bladder cancer has spread to local lymph nodes. and body CT scans and PET scans are used to look for cancer spread to other parts of the body like to the bones or lungs or brain.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, as far as i am aware CIS means cancer in situ, could you explain this for me.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
in situ cancers would be stage T0 and would not be stage T4a
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have other questions?

do you have copies of her biopsy reports?