Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

My husband has been suffering from aneimia and has had

hi my husband has been suffering from aneimia and has had three types of scan including apill cam and a raidiology scan where they injected a fluid that made you radioactive The ONLY scan that showed anything at all was the CT scan showing a tiny legion on the small bowl Jedium with a lympth node of around 4mm. They are not sure what is is. He has no other symptoms at all other than the amemia
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

he needs to have his ferritin and TIBC total iron binding capcity and serum iron and transferrin levels checked to see what might be the cause of his anemia

iron deficiency is the most common cause of anemia.

some patients can have bowel inflammation which makes it hard for their bowels to absorb iron in their diet.

he should get his stools checked for microscopic blood to see if he is loosing blood slowly through his GI system.

his bone marrow may also be failing and not making enough red blood cells. he then needs to see a hematologist and get a bone marrow biopsy to see if there is disease in his bone marrow causing him not to make enough red blood cells.

his spleen needs to be checked as well. an enlarged spleen can sometimes sequester red blood cells and cause anemia

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi they did not dectect blood in his stools. But they say he is bleeding from somewhere but the closest they have come to is the legion and lymth node in his small bowl. That's what they think is bleeding I,d assume but he has had other symptoms. He has gaul stones too but they say its not that? He has had camera down this throat up his rear passage CT scan Radioactive scan and the pill camera which found the tiny leigion?? not really sure could it be the legion? Is the lymth gland sending a waring??

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
a 4mm lymph node is normal and would not cause anemia.if he was bleeding from his small bowel, he would have some blood in his stoolsbleeding from the small bowel will cause black tar like stools when he is bleeding.some people have AVM or arterial malformations which only bleed sporatically from the small bowel and cause sporatic black tar like stools.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about the leigion in the small bowl could it be a tumor? Could that be what is bleeding but with no other syptoms ? They say there is a cell change in his blood ie more white cells

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
bleeding from the small bowel will cause black tar like stools when you are bleeding.

if you don't have black tar like stools, you are not bleeding from your small bowel.

a leukemia in the bone marrow is a white blood cell cancer and causes too many white blood cells and this can cause too much crowding in the bone marrow and cause not enough red blood cells to be produced and this can cause anemia.

how high is his white blood cell count?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm not sure but it not a direction they have considered. Would they not have picked it up from the blood tests? What are the signs of such blood disorders

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
very high white blood cell counts can be a sign of leukemia.

I would talk to his doctors about that possibility.

a bone marrow biopsy might still be needed.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi The bold tests of the functions of the body were all normal as that was our first question and the doctor said everything was normal and nothing had spread. Would the radioactive MRI picked up this type of

change in the bold if it were canceress?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
radioactive nuclear scan would not pick up blood cancers.he needs to have his ferritin and TIBC total iron binding capcity and serum iron and transferrin levels checked to see what might be the cause of his anemia
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist