Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

18 year history of smoking 20/day. Stopped aged 35 when

18 year history of smoking 20/day.
Stopped aged 35 when pregnant. Recommenced smoking 10 months later, until spat up small streaks of blood. Cxr, bronchoscopy and ct. All clear. After few months started to smoke again maybe 10/15 per day.
Again jan 2013 spat up blood for a week. Again cxr, bronchoscopy and ct were all clear. Stupidly, after a few months i started docial smoking. One too many drinks led to smoking.
From dec 2013 to now i probably smoked 5/10 cigerettes most weekends.
My problem is this:
My chest feels tight. I dont have a cough but i feel i need to keep huff coughing to release phelgm. Chest does not feel raspy or wheezy.
I noted a few tiny streaks of blood in very clear mucus over last few weeks.
I also think i am developing early clubbing in my right index finger. I think the nail bed is springy at the cuticle. More so than other nails.
I do not want anymore ct investigations as ive had 3 since 2006!!! That worries me too.
I am petrified that through stupidity of social smoking after the all clear 3 years ago, i have got lung cancer. What do you think the liklihood is based on my story.
Many thank you
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am a cancer doctor
the chances for you to have lung cancer now at your age is very very very low
anxiety symptoms, asthma, lack of exercise, poor lung conditioning can all cause chest tight feeling and shortness of breath.
you should see a doctor to get into a stop smoking program. it is not too late to quit permanently
you are worried about lung cancer, you need to stop smoking. it is the number one thing you can do to prevent future cancer.
the number two thing is to start to exercise and eat healthier which can also help prevent future cancers.
the mucous and blood can easily be from a lung infection, viral bronchitis, sinus problems, cold air, dry air, which can irritate the lungs.
you can quit smoking, you have done it before.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have bleeding gums periodically, but i only see the blood very infrequently after a huff cough. If i try to forget about my fears i dont cough. Ive asked friends n family and they havent noticed me coughing other than me consciously huffing.You didn't comment on the suspected springiness on index finger nail. Could it be clubbing?I worry that because I've had x 3 ct scans and smoked since I've sped up the process.Before my provoked dvt through trauma in may 15, i was fit n healthy. I lost 3 stone and went to boot camp regularly.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
clubbing is a very specific finding in your nails, it is not from springiness of your nails
it is something your doctor can look at
the CT Scans will not cause you cancer
the smoking can eventually cause you cancer.
work on quitting smoking to reduce your future lung cancer
you should start to exercise as well and loose weight to help improve your lung capacity so you huff and puff less.
that is the best way to improve your lungs.
you can go back to exercising like you have done before to improve your breathing and your health.
you don't have to worry about the radiation from the CT scans
we all get exposed to about 3-5mSv of radiation every year we live on earth.
you are 43 years old so you have received 129-215 mSv just living on earth.
all of your cells have ways to repair DNA damage caused by radiation
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Dr David. Just to clarify. Im not over weight. Im 5'10" and weigh 11.4 stone. I huff cough, meaning i feel need to cough something up, by forcing a voluntary cough, but nothing major comes up. Every now and then i do see a streak in my clear saliva.
I am reassured you dont think its LC.
Do you really mean that??
I will definitely take on board your advice on diet and exercise.
Lastly, I'd read early clubbing presents as a spongey nail. The floatation or ballotability test. I've tried to do it on myself but not sure what it should feel like.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I really man that
I don't think you have lung cancer.
clubbing is loss of normal Lovibond angle between the nail bed and the fold
you can read more here.
http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/571916_2
it sounds like you have a lot of anxiety?
don't let your anxiety get too focused on this clubbing or not clubbing
it is a soft sign in medicine.
it is not very reliable and not used very often.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist