Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

DoctorMy brother age 55, in November of 2013 his has been

Customer Question

Hi Doctor
My brother age 55, in November of 2013 his has been diagnosed as a patient of B Cell Lymphoma and the malignant tumour in his basal brain. He had chemotherapy treatment at beginning of 2014 and the tumour disappeared for two years. November 2015 tumour comes back and now he has just had chemotherapy again, but doesn’t work, next week he will have treatment of radiotherapy.
He lives in overseas, can I ask the followings
1. How such Lymphoma is treated in UK
2. Any possibility to have surgery (surgical operation).
Thanks so much for your helps
Mrs Wei
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry about your brother.
it can be difficult to tell what type of cancer is in his basal brain. it most likely is a CNS or central nervous system lymphoma if he has B cell lymphoma in his body already.
lymphoma is a rare cancer, and CNS lymphoma is even more rare. but more CNS lymphoma is treated in the UK and USA than in other countries.
it takes wealth in a country to pay for linear accelerators for radiation machines and research and expensive chemotherapy agents to treat lymphoma.
surgery might be an option to drain out excessive CSF or cererebral spinal fluid or to try to obtain a biopsy of the basal brain lesion to know what type of cancer it is.
what is also another option is intrathecal chemotherapy, giving chemotherapy directly into the brain fluid for CNS lymphoma. this can be done as well.
I take it your bother is in China? hopefully a large city with a large medical center
let me know if you have questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com