Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

M a 34 year old man who has quit smoking year,

Customer Question

'm a 34 year old man who has quit smoking for 1 year, previous to which I smoked around 10 roll up cigarettes per week, over a period of 8 years.My mom was a 25 a day smoker for 25 years prior to being diagnosed with lung cancer aged 42, at which point she stopped.I now regularly exercise(running, gym) and try and eat healthy after changes to my lifestyle when I quit, conscious of my family history.Does this mean that I will get lung cancer at 42? Or are my chances now better given that I have given up, and what more smoked for only 1/3 of the time my mom did, at a lower level.Do you suggest I get screened when I am around 40 years of age?I suffer with anxiety so any assistance would be grate appreciated.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
no, this does not mean you will get lung cancer
I am glad you quit smoking. that was the best thing for you to do
keep exercising regularly and eating healthy.
you should see a doctor to check you up early
it is unclear what the best screening tests for you are since your mother got lung cancer at age 42 which is very rare.
we don't think lung cancer is a genetic disease
I'm sure having excessive anxiety makes you more worried about lung cancer.
the screening recommendations for the general population is if you have 30 years of smoking history and if you are over age 55, then they recommend a low dose chest CT scan once a year
do you have a regular primary care doctor you can see to talk about these recommendations and screening tests?
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you offer a call service? Happy to pay for this.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, you have to accept additional phone consult services.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,I have done this
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
thanks for accepting additional phone consult services
my contact information is below
you can call me
or you can give me your phone contact information in the UK
and I can call you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be possible to call my UK mobile on (+44)7739310608 please?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for the re-assurance doctor, I will be sure to recommend your services to my friends.I will be sure to follow your advice to maintain a healthy lifestyle and visit my GP for a yearly check-ups.Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com