Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I am a 36 years old and much to his deep and sincere

Hi,I am a 36 years old and much to his deep and sincere regret, previously smoked Marijuana for around 8 years. I have now quit and lead a healthy lifestyle. I on average would consume 10-12 joint per week, but did have spells of abstinence,My mom smoked around 20-25 cigarettes per day for 25 years and unfortunately was diagnosed with Lung Cancer aged 40.My question is, although I understand that smoking joints is worse than cigarettes, I have read that 1 joint can equal around 20 cigarettes. Does this seem feasible? And therefore will I need to be checked for Lung Cancer?The NHS website on Lung Cancer advises a more moderate comparison of 1 joint to 5 Cigarettes.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 months ago.
This is Dr. David
there are really no good long term studies of marijuana to know how much smoking increase risks for lung cancer.
I would trust the NHS website.
lung cancer at your age is super rare.
we don't think lung cancer is genetic
your GP doctor in the NHS most likely will not worry about lung cancer and will encourage you to be healthy and exercise to help improve your health.
in the USA, patients who have smoked more than 1 pack per day for 30 years and are over age 55 should get a chest CT Scan once a year to look for early lung cancers.
but you haven't smoked that long and you are much younger.
so these recommendations don't apply to you.
the best thing you can do is to quit smoking marijuana and not smoke cigarettes which you have done already.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'll be sure to leave excellent feedback, a genuine thank you! I absolutely will abstain from any further use of smoking of any kind.Given my promiscuous past, does my stopping of Marijuana use and healthy lifestyle limit the risks associated with Lung Cancer? Is there a chance that my lungs can repair themselves over time? I appreciate that I cant turn back the clock, but I want to give my self the best chance possible moving forward.I sincerely ***** ***** past and want to ensure that it doesn't mean I will develop such a disease before middle age.
yes, you limit your risk for lung cancer.
we know those who stop smoking cigarettes before age 40 can decrease their risks of lung cancer down to someone who hasn't smoked by age 50
you have smoking smoking marijuana before age 40
you have done everything you can
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you again!So finally, to summise, my quitting of smoking marajuana at 36 means that in 15 years my lungs should be back to normal, and furthermore the risk of a diagnosis in that time is minimal.This is my last question, and will be sure to leave appropriate positive review because you are very very helpful!
in 10 years at age 46 your lungs go back to normal.
you don't have to worry or stress about lung cancer
the risks is the same at that point as someone who had never smoked.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist