Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

My family had a takeaway curry and they were in foil

My family had a takeaway curry and they were in foil containers I was picking them up and I caught my tummy (which was exposed as I had a short jumper on) the sharp edge of the foil cut me and it was near a recent gallbladder surgery scar. If someone from the takeaway had cut themselves before me on the same foil container is this a HIV infection risk?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidthis is not a risk for HIV infection.HIV has never been spread this way.let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Dr as you know I have OCD which is bad when I get under stress, just recently I have lost two very dear friends to cancer, and I have had cancer twice. I am on the waiting list for CBT but it is three months long! In the meantime I am not coping with doing CBT myself. I am trying fro example today I dropped my earring where my husbands shoes were and he wore them to the Accident and Emergency dept at the hospital my mother was rushed too, and as it is a Accident and Emergency dept there is a lot of blood on the floor, I ignored the thoughts of these when I just picked up my earring and put it in my ear, and I am very anxious about this ! And I also cut myself on a knife, which a lady who helps me clean since I have had breast cancer, she could have cut herself before I did and her blood could have been on the knife before I cut myself. As you can see I am trying to battle with this.
Yesterday I also had a very bad fall, I feel on my chin and I jarred my lower jaw, and I am badly bruised and in pain particuly my head, I fell because my mind is all over the place.
Sorry to bother you Doctor, but I trying to conquer OCD and also deal with my cancer diagnosis as well, which is hard.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
OCD can be very difficult to live with.
I am glad you are being setup for cognitive behavioral therapy soon
your doctor should also talk to you about medication therapy such as SSRI agent and a long acting benzodiazepine like klonopin or valium which can help decrease your anxiety symptoms.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for talking to me Dr. I think that if I can move on from my cancer diagnosis, my OCD will mellow, and I think that I have become obsessive around HIV because I cannot know if I have it, like Cancer. I am still panic that because my cats scratched me after going to the vets, that they may have scratched the Vet or Vet Nurse and then scratched me their blood could have got in my bloodstream. But it's the not knowing whether I have or haven't got a disease which worries me. I am on Fluvoxamine and Quetapine medication for my OCD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the Quetapine is slow release. Am I to think that knifes, cat claws, staples, sewing needles, pins and safety pins and pin badges are not a threat of HIV infection because they are not hollow and cannot transfer enough blood for HIV infection, and also expose the blood to the air and dies within seconds .?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
these fears are manifestations of your anxiety disorder.
you don't have cancer and you don't have HIV.
yes, all of those things are not risks for HIV.
HIV is spread through traumatic anal sex or traumatic vaginal sex with blood or sharing IV drug needles.
it is not spread through regular cuts and scrapes.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if the cat scratched me on the head? And I have had Thyroid and Breast Cancer which is something I fear could return and I can't help that Dr
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I know you can't help your anxiety disorder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or if a poke or scratch in the eye from a cat or bush,plant or thorn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these HIV infection risks?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
those are not risks for HIV
please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So scratches poke in the eyes or any where in the body from plants thorns bushes and cat scratches are not cause for concern even if someone with HIV gets scratched first?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, those are not a way for HIV to spread
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Oncologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr today I had a letter through the post again and yes there was a staple on it and caught my finger on it and while cleaning I found a safety pin which jab me, now either of these could have jabbed someone else. Do I dismiss the thought from my mind that I could have HIV?
Goodbye Dr
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, you dismiss in your mind to have HIV
you don't have to worry about this
this is your anxiety disorder out of control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am trying hard to do this, I cut my finger on a potato peeler, and scratched my head on a sharp door latch all which someone else could have done the same, but I am telling myself don't be stupid I can't get HIV through this!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get HIV from my cat who scratched the vet then scratched me straight after, I am so worried my cats vet is gay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will anyone answer please?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm the Moderator for this topic and I have noticed that the Professional has not got back to you regarding your question. I will send this Professional a message to see whether they are still able to assist you.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to help. what is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I wonder if you could help answer my question. My cat went to the vets and scratched the vet and his nurse, then my cat scratched me straight after, is this a HIV infection risk? My vet is Gay, but I know that should make any difference.
can you open a new one?you already rated on this one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I have no more money to ask any questions.