Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I contacted you last week as a lesion was found on my

Hello, I contacted you last week as a lesion was found on my liver during an ultrasound and I now need an MRI. The scan is tomorrow and I need gadolinium contrast dye which I'm really anxious about. I have a low body weight, have some allergies and low blood pressure and am really scared I'm going to have a
severe reaction to it. The staff have said that it mainly affects people with kidney problems which I don't think I have and it's pointless going the scan without it. Am really worried but don't want to cancel the scan.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou don't have to be worried about gadolinium.it is a safe dye and drinking more water and fluids before the scan and after the scan can help you flush it out of your systemyour kidneys will be able to tolerate the gadolinium and flush it out of your system.it will get out of your system in a day or so.I bet you money the spot on your liver will show up to be a benign spot like a benign hemangioma or a liver cyst.try not to stress about the scan or gadoliniumlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will the fact I won't have eaten for 18 hours affect my tolerance?
I've heard people have had anaphylactic reactions in rare cases What happens if I did have this? I've got hayfever and am sensitive to some chemicals.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, not eating will not affect your tolerance for gadolinium.anaphylatic reactions are super super super rare, like one in a million odds .if it happens, you are at the hospital or radiology center and the doctors and nurses there will know exactly what to do.your hay fever does not increase your risks for reaction.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com