Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I have been having problems with my digestive system

I have been having problems with my digestive system for over 18 months. I have always suffered with constipation on and off despite having a healthy diet. However, I don't drink enough fluids.
I was pregnant nearly two years ago and got really bad haemorrhoids - I wasn't examined but told doctor symptoms and he said it was. They got worse during pregnancy and became external and after labour I was left with external skin tags which are still there. I suffered with bad constipation and piles on and off for months after birth but due to breastfeeding couldnt really treat them. When I could they still came back. For the last 7 months I've felt a pressure in my lower back/bum area whenever I am constipated which I have never had before. The doctor prescribed me a fibre drink which i took for months but stopped a few months ago as was taking I eveRy day. I still get pressure and pain regularly but it does stop for a week or longer and intermittent blood after going to the toilet (not a lot) but no sign of external piles or itching etc. For the last six weeks I have been stressed and went toilet more regularly and had no pressure at all or visible blood but the pressure is back with mucus and blood in stool and feel like I haven't been to the toilet properly. I have been eating and drinking well but I have been stressed for weeks. Because I've had this for nearly 2 years I'm assuming it's all connected to my pregnancy piles ( although as I said I've always had issue with constipation since a child). I went to the GP a few months ago and said I have never had Lower back/rectal pressure before and she said my body post pregnancy and piles and back muscles not as strong is the reason. I'm scared as I haven't been examined it is bowel cancer.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI can understand your worries.but your symptoms of constipation and piles and hemorrhoids are very common and not due to bowel cancerwe don't really see bowel cancer in patients in your age less it is extremely rare.you can treat your hemorrhoids with fiber drinks and 1% hydrocortisone cream, even when you are pregnant.you should work on drinking fiber drinks and psyllum fiber and eating prunes daily to help soften your stools.eating fiber and more fruits and vegetables will help keep your bowels healthy.let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. If it was bowel cancer do you think i would have other symptoms? I assume the pressure wouldn't come and go? Is it normal for piles symptoms to Come and go and do you think pregnancy and labour has affected it?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, if you had bowel cancer, you would have other symptoms, constant blood in your stool, weight loss, lack of appetite.the pressure is from your occasional constipation at this point.yes, pregnancy and labour often will cause piles and hemorrhoids to flare up. piles are not a sign of colon cancer.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomethanks for the positive feedbackthanks for using Justanswer.com