Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I am a 33 year old man looking needed piece of

I am a 33 year old man looking for much needed piece of mind, please can you help.I am suffering with severe anxiety following the passing of my mother last year. She was diagnosed with stage 1 non small cell lung cancer aged 42 after smoking for 24 years (although she had quit for 1 year at the time of initial diagnosis). On this occasion she made a full recovery having had part of the lung removed.Regretfully, I previously smoked cannabis for 9 years intermittently but have now quit for 1 year and absolutely will not be doing this again. I used to smoke on average 9 joints per week. I am now extremely worried that I am headed for the same fate because of my past (early on set lung cancer).I now exercise and ensure I eat healthily following a complete lifestyle change.I have spoken to my doctor about my concerns, including potential screening, but he stated that this is not necessary as lung cancer is not hereditary, and also the volume of my smoking doesn't put me at great risk. There are also no screening programmes at my age.I wanted to ask an expert in this field......... 'do you agree with this view, or do I need to request again to maybe another doctor?'Thank you
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyes, I agree.screening for lung cancer starts after age 55 and for patients who have smoked for 30 years one pack per day typically. I am sorry about your mother.why did she pass? it sounds like she had successful treatment of her lung cancer.I am glad you have stopped smoking and are exercising and eating healthier.if your anxiety symptoms are bad, you might need to see a doctor and get some treatment for your anxiety symptoms.I am not worried about your prior marijuana use for 9 years causing lung cancer for youlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the prompt and genuine replyUnfortunately, she had a second case of lung cancer, this time small sell. She had been a non-smoker for nigh on 20 years when that horrid disease struck again. I agree with you regarding my anxiety, I am sure that this situation has been a mjor factor in the way I have been of late. I am receiving bereavement counselling which is helping.However this has re-assured me, so thank you. Does this mean that lung cancer is generally not regarded as familial, so there is no need to worry with this subject?I'll be sure to leave positive feedback
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, as your doctor said, lung cancer is not considered to be familial.either non small cell cancer or small cell cancer are not familial and should not be passed down genetically.there is no need to worry.you should continue to work on eating healthy and exercising.I am glad you are getting bereavement counseling.as your GP doctor if speaking to a psychotherapist would help youlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great, thank you!Sincere thank you.My final question is, is there an average time in which a cancer in the lung takes to form and subsequently become detectable by CT/X-Ray? My mother was 'lucky' (in a sense) the first time around as a routine x-ray presented a shadow, however the second and last time an x-ray was taken 6 months before and nothing was identified.I have read it can take up to 3 years, which seems an awfully long time. It really beats me up that it wasn't picked up earlier thats all.Thank you for the kind help and great service.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
all lung cancers grow at different rates.we don't diagnose small lung cancers and then watch them grow to time their growth.so the speed of growth of lung cancer is not a known thing in humans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You really have been a great help DR, I can now put this to the back of my mind and will move forward..Thank you, ***** ***** hesitate to come back.